Ugh! Gross! *Spit.* REPEAT.
Yep! I can’t tell ya how many times a fly on the wall may have heard Beau and me REPEATING those words…
From DIY Toothpaste. The taste…or lack thereof I should say.
I had scoured the internet
100 1,000 times (over the last couple years) to find a darn DIY toothpaste that didn’t want to make us gag, spit, or holler…GROSS!
I really did search. That many times. Me and Google. Google and I.
After trying a DIY toothpaste I would revert back to buying REAL natural toothpaste without SLS’s (Sodium Lauryl Sulfates) and Fluoride. Two things that DON’T go like bread an’ butter on this homestead. They are so bad for you (simply put). They are toxins. And…they are in EVERYTHING…except for stuff in these parts. We don’t allow it.
Even after all my failures (and there are A LOT when switching to ‘au naturel’ ladies and gents). But, I was DETERMINED to figure something out. I had to. A box of the REAL natural toothpaste was about 6 bucks! I am just too frugal for that folks.
Then I finally said to myself “what if I combined bits and pieces of things I saw online and adjusted amounts and ingredients to my liking.” Just like I do with cooking. And well, I threw on my boots and got to work…inside the house.
It took about 4 batches until I got everything ‘just right,’ according to mine and Beau’s likings of course. I was so excited that I made a batch for M (age 9) too. She loved it. It really is so simple and takes less than five minutes to whip up.
Oh…and did I mention that it’s cheap? Who doesn’t love C-H-E-A-P? Cheap. Cheap. Cheap. Cheap. I could say it all day. 365 days of the year! But then I may sound like one of the 45 new chicks that started hangin‘ around here a couple weeks back.
So…here y’all folks go….
Supplies Needed to Make for 2 People (lasts 2-3 weeks):
- 4 tablespoons Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
- 2.5 teaspoons Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 teaspoons Hydrogen Peroxide
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt (THIS is the only one we use because it is UNREFINED but any sea salt will do)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mint Extract (this one is a mix of peppermint and spearmint) and/or 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oils
Update: We no longer use the mint extract. We use essential oils in our toothpaste!
Pour baking soda and sea salt (if using) into the container you are using. Stir well until combined.
Add hydrogen peroxide, mint extract (and/or essential oils), and coconut oil. Stir until combined, mashing the coconut oil as you stir. Stir into a paste (I use a small baby spoon to stir).
Make sure all ingredients are well combined!
Let sit 12-24 hours (not a requirement but tastes much better after all the ingredients have meshed together)
That’s it y’all. See…SO EASY! Like mama told ya!
- If you are switching from store-bought toothpaste it will be a shock at first (give it at least a week)
- This doesn’t “foam” up like store-bought toothpaste
- You can adjust the flavoring with whatever you want
- You can omit the salt if you want. If you are using salt mix well or you will get globs with more salt in them
- You can use your favorite essential oils instead of extract
- It always tastes better the day after you make it
- If you want a “creamier” toothpaste just add more coconut oil